The core values of the church of the Nazarene are important in how we seek to live our our faith. As Nazarenes we are first and foremost, Christian people. This means that our beliefs and identity are much more about being united with Christians worldwide than being distinct from others. Secondly, we are a holiness people. By this, we mean that we believe God is able to work in our lives in such a way so that, more than simply being forgiven, through His power at work within us, we can embody a Christ-like character. Finally, we are a missional people. By this, we mean that we believe God has redeemed us for a purpose (or mission). That purpose is most clearly stated in the Great Commission found in Matthew 28 19-20. “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you…”
Below you’ll find a basic list of our beliefs, or you can access the complete Articles of Faith of the Church of the Nazarene here.
- We believe in one God who has expressed himself as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We believe that the Holy Scriptures communicate God’s message of salvation and is authoritative in all matters related to faith and Christian living.
- We believe that humanity is born with a fallen nature, and is, therefore, inclined to evil.
- We believe that the love and grace of God has been extended to every person through the atonement of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
- We believe that Christian experience is more than a change of mind. It is accompanied by a transformation in the life of the believer, and by assurance that is grounded in both the Holy Scriptures and the inner witness of the Holy Spirit.
- We believe in a second work of grace in the life of the believer. The Scriptures name this second work as “sanctification”. Sanctification is the work of God by which believers are brought into a state of complete devotion to God. It is preceded by a moment in which the believer consecrates their entire life to God. We believe that the Holy Spirit gives witness to the sanctified life, and that the sanctified life expresses itself in our actions, attitudes, and service.
- We believe that Christ will return to earth, our mortal bodies will be raised, and Christ will judge both the living and the dead.
- We believe that all who live for Jesus Christ have an eternal future. Our belief in such a future includes both the fulfillment of God’s creative purpose as well as the accountability of all persons endowed with the power of choice.
- We believe that unless one experiences God’s salvation through faith in Jesus Christ, their future is one of eternal separation from God.
For more information about the Church of the Nazarene or any of its ministries or beliefs, please visit our denominational website.